The Imagery. The Words. The Songs. The Objects. The Memories. Attached Like Tape Recordings on Repeat.

Sunday 6 November 2011

Another story.

This story starts in Year Five, I am Nine. This story ends in Year Five, I am nine.

On Wednesdays I participate in training for Moorfield Junior School Netball Team. I am in A team. I play Goal Shooter. I am actually quite good at netball, particularly shooting. Emma-Jayne, a close friend at the time and probably still my closest friend, and I went along to Moorfield Junior School Netball Practice on this particular Wednesday to find Carly Rounding bragging to everyone about how she had been to visit Chalky the homeless man who lived adjacent to the school in a shack. She talked of eating bread and drinking milk with him.

Not wanting to be out-done by Carly Rounding, me and Emma-Jayne decided to visit the shack after school to see what all the fuss was about. We had been warned to stay well clear of the shack and the school were taking proceedings to have the homeless man removed from the property.

Moorfield Junior School Netball practice dragged that day. As soon as it was 4.30pm me and E-J ran off still sporting our Netball skirts, red polo's and matching socks. At the top of the alley leading to the shack we quickly made a plan, we were going to sneak down to the bottom of the alley and say hello to Chalkie. We had a bit of a debate over who was going to go first and as usual I lost and was made to go first.

So down we crept in our Moorfield Junior School Netball Practice uniforms. Me creeping first and E-J just behind me holding tightly onto my rucsack. The alley was long and it took us a lifetime to reach the shack. Down the Alley almost at the door to the shack a figure appeared, we speculate to this day whether Chalkie was holding a shotgun that day or whether it was just our childish imaginations running wild.

Everything happened quickly. We both screamed "CHHHAAAALLLKKIIIEEE"
Threw our hands in the air and began pushing each other to emerge from the alley, we ran straight across the main road almost getting run-over in the process. And continued running all the way through Tesco's car park even though E-J wasn't going that way. We did not stop until we were sure he was not behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment