The Imagery. The Words. The Songs. The Objects. The Memories. Attached Like Tape Recordings on Repeat.

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Putting Together, Ripping Apart: The pieces.

Ask me about my practice. I will respond 'I dont have a clue'.

As an artist I make work because I enjoy making work, the creative process, the excitement, the thrill of the live performance. Ask me to connect my performance practice to research (with a small r) and I find it difficult to find the words in an academic sense of the term.

"Stories make sense of ourselves, and our world. This world and our lives within it are complex and chaotic... we tell and re-tell episodes both minor and major to colleagues, loved ones, therapists and priests, strangers on the train, a wedding guest." (Coleridge, 1834, 1978 quoted in Bolton: 2010: 7)

"Stories penetrate human understanding more deeply than intellect, they engage feelings." (Weick: 1995 quoted in Bolton: 2010: 3)

Questions I have not thought about, or thought about but thought it not worth researching.

  • How transferable are my personal experiances in a performance context?
  • How do anecdotes into my personal life inform knowledge?
  • Does involving a fluxus (multi-sensory experiance) in performance heighten the audiences experience of that performance? Does it aid their connections to their own experiences?
  • How do we transfer the live performance into documentation? Is there an evanescent form of performance? How do we document the engagement of sensory experiences?
Context.

The adapted creative methods of...
Laurie Anderson.
Forced Entertainment.
Lone Twin.
Goat Island.
Bobby Baker.
Documentation debate (Phelan VS Audlander)
Ethnography - social science.


Methods.
Automatic writing.
Non linearity.
Inprovisation.
Mapping the Space.
Storytelling- lived experiences.
Movement created from linguistics , "actions speak louder than words."
Who I meet, Things I see, What I hear, see smell, touch.
Playing (studio work... which generally involves staring into space)
Scripting and Re-Scripting.
Peer to Peer Evaluation, constuctive criticism
Recording, Photographing. Documentation and archive of practice.
Placing work out of the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment